Parent resources for contingency planning
Hi, if you have received this link, it means Dr Le has recommended you look at a positive reinforcement approach to managing your child’s gaming time.
You can access the files in this order from the Google Drive link sent in the email.
- This story was published in the Advertiser. (2 min read)
- The team kindly gave me a copy of the self-help manual which was adapted from partners living with someone with alcoholism. The manual was adapted successfully for a mother of the 19 yo man who was admitted to Flinders Psychiatric unit with a gaming disorder. (30min read)
- They published in greater detail in a case report published by the Flinders Hospital (State wide gambling service). (Approx 1hr read but will need re-reading to fully understand).
The key takeaway points are:
- Positively reinforce the desired behaviours daily
- Work on one behaviour each week
- No nagging on complaining when your child has earned the access
*Things to consider, the team originally advised unlimited access once desired behaviour achieved. This can be tailored depending on your situation.